The Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary for Kids is meant as a guide to perceive the meaning of; grasp the idea of; comprehend, and generally, make understanding the Bible easier AND that’s exactly what it does.
This is a stunning, 209 pages plus, hard cover book! 750 Bible words.
-Definitions and pronunciation guides for those words that you find yourself mumbling or stumbling over, because you’re not quite sure how to say them. Like these entries:
- “Gennesaret, Sea of (gih NESS uh ret) Also known as Sea of Galilee or Sea of Tiberias. Jesus calmed a storm on this lake, and with Jesus’ help, Peter walked on water on this lake. Luke 5:1” and
- “World – 1.) Planet Earth. 2.) In the Bible world often means the people who live on Planet Earth. In John 3:16, Jesus said, “God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son,” to all the humans in the world. 3.) The Bible also uses world to describe evil and people who do not know Jesus as Savior and choose to do wrong. Nehemiah 9:6; Colossians 2:20.”
-Charts and illustrations. Among many, you’ll find:
- Birds in the Bible;
- Food in Bible Times, and
- Names of God, with the reference, meaning and English name
Elohim ~ Genesis 1:1 ~ Powerful God ~ God
Jehovah Jireh ~ Genesis 22:14 ~ The Lord provides ~ The Lord will provide
Yahweh ~ Exodus 3:14 ~ Israel’s Covenant God ~ I AM
-500 vibrant, color photographs, from the likes of Israel Museum, Jerusalem; Joseph A Calloway Archaeological Museum, Kentucky; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston and Biblical Illustrator photographers – Bob Schatz, Ken Touchton; even NASA.
-Numerous maps and reconstructions, reinforcing that “Bible stories are true and happened in real places.”
Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary for Kids is kid-friendly without compromise. I reference the Ten Commandments, Exodus 20:1-17. In this dictionary, they are worded in a way that a child can understand without changing God’s meaning.
- Do not have other gods besides the One True God.
- Do not make an idol to worship.
- Do not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
- Keep the sabbath day holy.
- Honor your father and your mother.
- Do not murder.
- Keep your marriage promises.
- Do not steal.
- Do not lie.
- Do not want things that belong to someone else.
And… I can put off having to explain the nitty-gritty of adultery and coveting your neighbors anything, until they’re older.
B and H Publishing has a PDF sampler of this book you can download.
This is an outstanding resource for $14.99. I was blessed that LifeWay Christian Stores gave me a copy for this review. “LifeWay Christian Resources of the Southern Baptist Convention is one of the world’s largest providers of Christian products and services…” Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary for Kids is available at LifeWay Christian Stores, your local bookstore, online and through the publisher.
Making the language of the Bible more accessible and understandable to young hearts and minds is a worthy investment, with the possibility of eternal dividends. Compiled with ages 5 – 10 in mind, I found it beneficial for all ages.
Shop online or
Find a LifeWay Christian Store near you.
Click the TOS banner below for additional reviews of Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary for Kids.
This product was given to me, free of charge, in exchange, for my honest review, as a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew. I receive no other compensation for my reviews on this blog. The opinions expressed are my own.